We all make goals and promises to ourselves that we originally intended to keep and fulfill. Unfortunately in more cases than none, it hardly ever turns out that way. How many of us back out of attending that networking event we committed to, stopped hitting the gym after four days of sweat and pain, or quit on their start up business because they weren’t seeing results?
Did you raise your hand? I did because I am also guilty! The problem is that after I back out of my goal or commitment, I beat myself up over it emotionally and mentally, I get upset at myself for not fulfilling my commitment, and I dwell on it for hours after it’s too late!
The identifying issue is that the majority of us do not have the motivation or the understanding on how to keep ourselves accountable. We are easy to give up on ourselves and our ambitions.
Well, that’s all about to change if you want it to (and remember only you can make it happen)!But don’t worry you don’t have to do it alone!
It wasn’t until recently I discovered how to truly make myself accountable for the goals, promises, and commitments that I DO want to fulfill! It’s amazing how much I have accomplished and achieved personally with only 5 tips that I have discovered through trial and error.
Here’s how you can finally stay accountable for the things that you say and want to do:
- Tell Your Family: For many it’s hard to maintain their goals and stay accountable if their family isn’t on board. Think of all of the times you made a commitment to eat healthy and one hour later your brother brings home an XL pizza! Talking to your family will hopefully ignite a supportive environment which will constantly remind you to stay on track.
- Post it on Social Media for the World to See: Ok this works! On September 5th I set a goal to launch the Rise Up For You Podcast by October 5th. I gave myself exactly one month! I didn’t know if that was even possible or what it even meant to have a podcast. However, I was determined and I wanted to be accountable and truly reach my goal. I decided that with social media being as powerful as it is, my accountability partner would be Facebook and Twitter. I blasted the launch of the podcast for one month by creating post, groups, a Facebook page, and more. Before I knew it I had a whole community of people liking and commenting on the Upcoming podcast. I had no choice but to launch on October 5th and hell or high water that podcast was going to have it’s first episode on time. And it did, in fact it had 6!
- Invest in Your Goal or Commitment: Another way to ensure you keep your word to yourself is by investing. People can’t stand losing money so if your goal is attached to a financial loss, more times then none you will stay committed. Pay for that trainer at the gym, it will force you to go! Buy a ticket to the next networking event it will prevent you from letting it go to waste!
- Invite Others to Join You: There’s nothing worse then letting other people down. We convince ourselves that it’s ok to let ourselves down but when it comes to others we can’t stand it! Invite your friends to join you on your goals or commitments. Your less likely to quit if your friend is waiting for your new product to come out so they can buy it. Or your more likely to hit the gym if your friend is standing outside waiting for you.
- Get the help of others: One way to stay accountable is by getting your friends to monitor you and punish or reward you (yes I did say punish) For example: You want to be better at networking? Tell your friend that if you do not attend the next event in your community you will cut their grass for a week. Or, if you lose that 10 pounds in a week tell your friend she has to treat you to a new outfit!
Your days of not being accountable are over! The above 5 tips can be started today so share this post with your friends so they can join you on your journey to hitting your goals and keeping your word to yourself.