Episode #32 with Katherine Forrester Schneewind, CLU, ChFC, a Wealth Management Advisor for Northwestern Mutual a Heurung Network Office in Eden Prairie, MN.
Katherine began her career as a music therapist at University Good Samaritan Center and as a professional singer with the Cash family out of Nashville, TN. In 1996, Katherine tested out of pilot program at Northwestern Mutual, which gave her an introduction to the business that she felt destined to pursue.
Working closely with general agent, Gene Storms, and mentors, Todd Schoon and Bill Beckley, Katherine quickly rose in the ranks and received new representative awards in the Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum categories. She added an investment practice to her business in 1998 and became the Investment Products & Services category leader of her agency in 2008 and remains the leader today.
In 2010, Katherine set a goal for herself to qualify for the first time for the Northwestern Mutual Forum – the company’s highest recognition for productivity and excellence. In 2011, she decided to up that goal to qualifying for Forum both ways – insurance only, and integrated practice – and did so while becoming Northwestern Mutual’s first female “Pathfinder.”
As Katherine’s practice continues to expand, she looks to become the first female in company history to achieve the milestone of $1M/$1M and beyond. She is the first woman to join The Columns Resource Group in Minneapolis and is proud to be a mentor to many. For agent’s year 2012-13, Katherine became the first agent in the Columns Resource Group history to record $1M+ core production.
On September 8, 2013, Katherine achieved a lifelong personal goal by successfully completing an Ironman competition in Madison, WI, where she swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles and ran a marathon all within 14 hours.
- Monthly FOX 9 News Correspondent – Minneapolis, St. Paul – 2010-2014
- Central Regional “Top 10” – 2012
- Northwestern Mutual Forum Qualifier – 2010-2014
- Elite member of the Women’s Presidents’ Organization International – 2012-2014
- Columns Resource Group #1 Investment Producer – 2008-Present
- Columns Resource Group Financial Rep of the Year and First Female Jack G. Brown Award Winner – 2001
- Northwestern Mutual Community Service Award Winner – University Good Samaritan Center – 2001
- Ridgeview Medical Center Board Member – 2012-2014
My Favorite Points of the Episode:
- Can you tell us a little bit about yourself.
- How do you step into the financial world?
- Why is it important as women to plan your finances and your future?
- How do we plan effectively?Let’s talk about financial planning!
- Can you give us three power tips about our money what would they be?
- Prepare. Start getting your financial house in order today so you can be better prepared to build (and stick to) a plan that will work for you. Consider scaling back your holiday spending by 20% to start your financial plan with a bang in the New Year.
- Learn. The less we know about money, the more we stress about it. Learn the 50/20/30 approach to your income. 50% of your take-home pay should go toward essentials like your mortgage and utilities; 20% for investing in your future; and 30% discretionary spending, like vacations and fun.
- Act. It takes 30 days to form a new habit. Establish a daily routine of reviewing your checking account to see how you’re performing against your budget. Reflect on one thing each day that you did to help build your financial confidence, like reading a money blog or talking to a friend for advice.
- Network. We all know it’s easier to stick to an exercise program with a buddy, and the same holds true with finances. Use the brain trust around you and network your finances with other women. The more we talk about money, the more we increase our overall financial literacy and confidence.
- One book that you’ve read that had a massive impact on your life that you would recommend: “The Soul of Money” by Lynne Twist and “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coehlo
- Check Katherine out at www.katherine-forrester.com